Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Hello Mr. Nabers,

    Great site with a lot of very good information. Thanks for providing it. I do have a question though. I recently learned of someone promoting a self-directed 401k.

    They told me that since I own my own for-profit C Corporation that sponsors a Solo 401k, that my 401k could buy my business. They said that it could own say, 95% of my company and I could own the remaining 5%.

    But I’m a bit confused. If my 401k plan (or Section 401 Trust) owns my company, and my company makes say, $100K after expenses (EBIT), does this mean that $95K goes to my 401k tax deferred and I get taxed on $5K or is all $100K subject to the Federal Corporate Tax?

    I am not sure that I want to do this if I am going to get taxed multiple times (once on my personal salary, once at the corporate level, and yet again when I take distributions from the 401k plan).

    Can you provide any guidance on this? Specifically, I’m concerned about the plan ownership of the business. It makes sense that I can buy a business using those funds; I’m just not sure what is deemed to be a return for the 401 Trust if it is a tax deferred 401k plan.

    Thanking you in advance of your kind response.

    sincerely,

    Ben

  2. Ben,

    This collection of investment strategies can certainly be confusing, and hopefully I can help you make sense of it all.

    Firstly, there is a post (see it here) that talks about the strategy of financing your own new business with retirement funds.

    Secondly, in your scenario the corporation does pay taxes as usual. This concept is touched on in the aforementioned post as well.

    Jeff

  3. Hello:

    I am looking for a non-recourse lender to finance five (5) properties that are held by my self-directed Individual Retirement Account (IRA).

    Before I go through the application process to qualify each individual property; I was hoping you would please provide me with the following information:

    1. Minimum and Maximum loan amount
    2. Maximum payback period
    3. Interest rate
    4. Equity requirement and method used to determine equity
    5. Method used to determine current-value
    6. Any other relevant details or requirements

    If you do NOT handle non-recourse loans, please let me know if there are any alternatives, or lender you would recommend.

    Your help is very much appreciated.

    Jessie Bechard

  4. Jessie,

    We (Nabers Group) aren’t a lender. We setup IRA LLCs and Solo 401k plans, and we also provide wealth education and coaching.

    I’d recommend speaking with the guys over at NASB at http://www.401klending.com.

    The answers to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 above fluctuate with time, and frankly a large portion of their loans involve making judgement calls and/or exceptions to their guidelines. They are flexible, and will make logical calls.

    Here’s what they like:

    – Rental income that pays the mortgage. Preferably rental income equal to 120% or more of the debt service.

    Here’s what they don’t like:

    – Properties that are essentially a business rather than a stable source of passive income. By this, I mean things like hotels and car washes.

    – Weak or nonexistent income from the subject property. If the loan is non-recourse, the bank can only expect to get paid ultimately from rental income. A property with not enough rental income to support the debt payments is one where the bank has no idea how or why it will receive its loan payments.

    I hope this helps 🙂

    – Jeff

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

© Copyright 2003 - JeffNabers.com | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Contact

 

* DISCLAIMER

The information contained throughout this web site is not a substitute for professional advice you would receive from an accountant, attorney, investment adviser, or qualified tax preparer. The information provided does not constitute professional advice nor is it conveyed or intended to be conveyed in the course of any adviser-client discourse, but is provided for informational purposes only. If you enter your email address on our web site, you are also requesting and agreeing to subscribe to our free email newsletter, and you can unsubscribe anytime if you don't enjoy it. References to investment performance of any kind is for illustration purposes only.